Sardines on Rice Toppings with Tomatoes and Olives
Filipinos eat rice almost daily and these Sardines on Rice Toppings with Tomatoes and Olives make for a quick, easy meal. Simply add canned sardines in tomato sauce to a rice bowl. Toss in tomatoes, scrambled eggs and olives. Spread the tomato sauce around. And you've got instant comfort food in a bowl. This is an Asian in America recipe. Serves 1 or 2.
Servings: 2 people
- 1 can (4 and 3/8 oz.) canned Spanish sardines About 3 pieces in a can; I use Martin's Spanish Sardines
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 whole medium-sized onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups cooked rice at least 1 day old; must be refrigerated
- 1 whole medium-sized tomato chopped
- 2 whole eggs, scrambled sliced thin in 1-inch slivers
- 1/3 cup pitted green olives
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green or red bell peppers for garnish
In a medium-sized skillet, over medium heat, add the vegetable oil. When oil is hot enough, saute the garlic, onions and tomatoes till it softens in about 3 minutes.
In a separate small bowl, mash the sardines and mix with the Spanish tomato sauce from the can. Add this to the skillet with the rest of the sauteed ingredients.
Add the cooked rice and mix well till the tomato sauce coat all the grains.Mix in the sliced scrambled eggs and olives. Season with salt and black pepper. Garnish with red or green peppers.Serve warm.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 375kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 1166mg | Potassium: 83mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 1mg