Margaritas are popularly known for the spirits of tequila and flavors of triple sec and lime. My version of a Green Mango Frozen Margarita was an enjoyable concoction of tart-like slivers of green mango crushed together with lots of ice, swishing around with tequila, lemon, triple sec, and slightly sweetened with a few drops of rich, thick honey creme.
Last weekend I was at the Asian market and noticed an abundance of green unripe mangoes. It got me excited. This heralded the start of mango season which I enjoy immensely because this fruit is my favorite of all. Mangoes are the national fruit of the Philippines and I grew up with mangoes in our farm. Even if the mangoes are considered unripe at this stage of greenness, I have many recipe ideas for them. I can make savory, tangy green pickled mangoes. I can also use slivers of tart green mangoes as an ingredient for my crispy chicken recipe. And because I can make a juice drink with green mangoes, I went a step further and transformed it into a tart, tangy, slightly sweet cocktail.
And did I mention the addition of coarse colored salt flakes to the salt-rimmed glass? Well yes, there it was smokey-looking pink salt embedded on the rim adding a distinct savory moment to the beverage. The results were absolutely unforgettable. Cheers!
Green Mango Margarita Cocktail
- 2 large pieces peeled, sliced into strips green unripe fresh mangoes
- 1 1/2 cups crushed ice
- 2 ounces tequila
- 5 Tablespoons Honey Ridge Farms Honey Creme Clover
- 1 ounce triple sec
- 2 pieces whole lemon divided use 1 Tablespoon for cocktail, 1 Tablespoon, for glass rim lemon juice
- 2 to 3 Tablespoons for glass rim Wild Hibiscus Flower Pyramid Salt Flakes
- Moisten 1 or 2 margarita cocktail glasses with lemon juice. Pour the salt in a bowl. Turn the cocktail glass upside down on the salt. Twist glass around so the salt sticks to the rim. Chill cocktail glasses in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or more till ready to use.
- In a food processor or blender, process the mango slices for 1 to 2 minutes till it is a thick slush.
- Transfer the mango liquid to a cocktail shaker. Shake the mango together with the crushed ice, tequila, honey, remaining lemon juice and triple sec.
- Pour green mango cocktail into glasses. Serve chilled.
- Disclosure: The brand names mentioned Honey Ridge Farms Honey Creme and Wild Hibiscus Flower Pyramid Salt Flakes were gifts by the manufacturer. I was not paid to mention them in this recipe. But I will gladly recommend them to all who enjoy a good margarita.
- Photography by: Constante G. Quirino
- Hello, Friends! All the images and content on this blog are COPYRIGHT PROTECTED and owned by my media company Besa-Quirino LLC. This means BY LAW you are NOT allowed to copy, scrape, lift, frame, plagiarize or use my photos and recipe content I wrote, on your website, films or videos without my permission. If you want to republish this recipe or content on another website, video or news article, please ASK my permission, re-write it in your own words and simply link back to this blog to give proper attribution. It’s the legal thing to do. Thank you. Email me at [email protected]