Chocolate Cake with Mayonnaise
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Chocolate Cake with Mayonnaise needs no introduction. No words are enough to explain how luscious this cake is . And no photograph does justice to how this chocolate cake tastes like a dream. If this chocolate cake slice was in your dream, you won’t want to wake up.
We needed this cake to take our minds off the global pandemic. It was rich and decadent, yet every forkful was light and fluffy. The fudgy chocolate icing made it gorgeous. Friends have asked me through the years if I had a recipe for chocolate cake using mayonnaise. I liked this recipe because it only needed a few ingredients. The Covid-19 crisis has brought on shortages. There has been a lack of basic food supplies. And the food prices have skyrocketed, unfortunately.
I’d like to believe Filipinos are strong and resilient. Especially Filipinos in the diaspora. We know how to cope and be resourceful. I had a dozen eggs left in the ref, so I didn’t want to use it all up for one cake. Grocery trips have now become limited. We are avoiding crowds.
But back to this cake. I took out a recipe I found from I Am Baker. Follow her on Instagram like I do. She’s got terrific cakes and shares recipes generously. I was glad to see a short list of ingredients for this cake with mayonnaise. I improvised with my own chocolate frosting recipe, using basics from my pantry.
The results were marvelous. This is the kind of Chocolate Cake you want in your repertoire. It is easy, yet magnificent. Those who taste it will think you slaved all day in the kitchen. I thrust my fork through the gooey, fudgy icing and the moist cake for a bite. The creamy, chocolate flavors gave me a head rush. I closed my eyes in reverie. This cake reminded me of happy memories – family get-togethers, birthday parties, holidays, potlucks, barkada reunions. You know what else it reminded me of? Mother’s day. Yes, this is the kind of scrumptious cake my sons would bake for me if they came home. Bake it for yourself, for a friend, for your mom, or for anyone who needs cheering up. This superb, easy-to-bake cake is the kind of dessert you want while on lockdown. Be safe, friends!
Chocolate Cake with Mayonnaise
- Oven-proof cake pan - 9 x 11 inches; Or an 8 x 8 inches pan.
- Electric cake mixer
For the Chocolate Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/8 cup milk
- 1 ½ cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To make the Chocolate Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.Grease the cake pan on the bottom and sides. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and the baking soda. Blend well.Transfer the dry ingredients to the bowl used with the electric mixer.Pour the water to the dry ingredients. Add the mayonnaise and vanilla. Use the mixer to blend ingredients well. Mix for about 3 to 5 minutes till there are no more lumps.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking pan. Use a spatula to even out the mixture in the pan.Bake the cake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350 F degrees. To test if the cake is done, insert the tip of a small knife at the center. If cake comes out clean, it is done. Take the cake out of the oven. Let the cake rest on the counter to cool down for at least 1 hour. The cake must be completely cooled before adding any frosting on top.
To make the Chocolate Frosting:
- Melt the butter and let it come down to room temperature before mixing with ingredients.Place the melted butter in the mixing bowl used for cake mixers.
- Using an electric mixer, mix in the cocoa powder into the melted butter. Blend ingredients till smooth.Alternately, add a teaspoon of the milk, with some of the confectioner's sugar (about half a cup at a time). Repeat adding the milk and confectioner's sugar alternately. Begin with the milk, and end with the confectioner's sugar. Pour the vanilla and continue mixing. Cake frosting should form stiff peaks and must be able to stand on its own. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes for frosting to be manageable and stiff enough.This Frosting recipe yields about 1 ½ cups, just the right amount for this size of sheet cake.
To assemble Chocolate Cake with Mayonnaise and the Chocolate Frosting:
- Place the cooled-down chocolate cake, still in its baking pan, on the counter.Using an icing spatula or a palette knife, spread the frosting all over the cake till the entire top part is evenly covered For a fancy, decorative effect, use the back of the spoon to make indentations on the cake itself. Slice and serve the cake in individual dessert plates.
- Use regular mayonnaise for this recipe. Do not use low fat because the results are not the same. I used Hellman's Mayonnaise (this is not an ad). In the original recipe of I Am Baker, she shares a Fudge Sauce for the top of the cake, which is rich and divine, especially with walnuts. Here is the link to her site.
Nutrition Notes: The nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking or baking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Did you love this recipe? I have more Philippine dessert recipes in my popular cookbook How to Cook Philippine Desserts, Cakes and Snacks.
If you need Filipino Instant Pot recipes, find more in my newest cookbook Instant Filipino Recipes: My Mother’s Traditional Philippine Cooking in A Multicooker Pot. Buy my cookbooks and books on Amazon.com sold worldwide in paperback and Kindle format.
Copyright Notice: Hello, Friends! Please DO NOT LIFT OR PLAGIARIZE my original recipe, stories, photos or videos. All the images and content on this blog are COPYRIGHT PROTECTED and owned by my media company Besa-Quirino LLC. This means BY LAW you are NOT allowed to copy, scrape, lift, frame, plagiarize or use my photos, essays, stories and recipe content on your websites, books, films, television shows, videos, without my permission. If you wish to republish this recipe or content on media outlets mentioned above, please ASK MY PERMISSION, or re-write it in your own words and link back to my blog AsianInAmericaMag.com to give proper attribution. It is the legal thing to do. Thank you. Email me at [email protected]