Mini Strawberry Cheesecakes
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I have loved Hello Kitty for a long time so it was a delight to bake these Mini Cheesecakes from the Hello Kitty Cookbook. I often gave gifts from the adorable Hello Kitty line to my nieces when we lived in Manila. My fascination for her followed me here to the USA. The whimsical charm of Hello Kitty has had that effect on me. Even now, as an adult I am lured by the girlie stuff that has Hello Kitty designs on them — from cosmetic bags, sticky notes, tote bags, iPhone cases.
I was thrilled to hear Hello Kitty is celebrating her 40th anniversary this year. Even more, I was delighted to receive this Hello Kitty Baking Cookbook by Michelle Chen Chock of the blog I Heart Baking and super fan. She’s the original creator of the Hello Kitty macaron. If you’re a fan the Hello Kitty French Macaron recipe is in this cookbook!
This is the first ever licensed Sanrio cookbook. It features over two dozen baking recipes which are divided into three categories: cookies, cakes and cupcakes, pies, party treats and more. Photographs provide a clear illustration of how the baked treat should look like. There are baking tips and accurate, precise templates of Hello Kitty characters at the end of the book. If you’re having a children’s party, a bake sale or giving away treats, this cookbook provides charming character-themed recipes with Hello Kitty and her friends: Keroppi, Badtz Maru, My Melody, Chococat.
If you want to serve cheesecakes in small portions or to children, this is a great idea.I baked these mini cheesecakes from the cookbook’s recipe. They were a cinch to do.I baked them in individual clear glass custard cups. Then I spread a layer of strawberry jam on top as a backdrop to the Hello Kitty decor I had. I could have used one of the templates in the back of the book and draw with powdered sugar or a glaze. But since I’m a big Hello Kitty fan myself, I had a ton of stickers and paraphernalia laying around which I wanted to put to good use.
The cheesecakes were the cutest treats ever. They were rich, creamy and moist, too. The lower layer of buttery graham cracker crumbs was a good contrast to the sweet strawberry jam topping. And with the wide-eyed Hello Kitty staring at me from the stickers which I propped on appetizer sticks, then I knew all was right in the world.
Mini Strawberry Cheesecakes
- Small cheesecake tins
- 1 cup Graham cracker crumbs or 6 whole sheets
- 2 Tablespoons melted butter for the crust
- 3 packs (8 ounces each) Philadelphia cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 whole large eggs room temperature
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam for decorating the top
- 8 to 10 pieces mini bamboo skewers to hold Hello Kitty stickers in place (optional)
- 8 to 10 pieces Hello Kitty stickers for decoration
- How to make the crust: In a medium sized bowl, mix together the ground graham cracker crumbs with melted butter. Place about 2 tablespoons of the crumbs in the bottom of each custard cup. Press the mixture with the back of a spoon. Bake at a preheated oven of 350 F for 5 minutes. When cooked, remove from the oven and cool on the counter.
- How to make the filling: In a large bowl, mix with a wire whisk or stand mixer the following: cream cheese (at room temperature for 30 minutes). Beat well for 2 to 3 minutes till blended. Add the sugar, vanilla, salt and mix till creamy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing it well after each addition.
- Pour about 1/3 cup of the filling into the pre-baked graham cracker crumbs.
- Prepare a water bath for baking. Take a large rimmed baking pan that fits the custard cups. Fill the baking pan with water, enough to cover the side of the cup.
- Place the filled custard cups into the large baking pan filled with water (water bath or ‘baine marie’) that’s been preheating. Make sure custard cups are submerged in water halfway on the side.
- To bake: Bake the mini cheesecakes in a preheated oven of 325 F for 20 to 25 minutes or till knife comes clean when the tip is pierced in the middle.
- When done, cool the custard cups on the counter. Fill each mini cheese cake with a level layer of strawberry jam. Place in the refrigerator to chill for a few hours or overnight.
- Cook’s comments: The author suggested warming the strawberry jam over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Spoon the jam into the cheesecake cups.
- To decorate: Just before serving, place individual Hello Kitty stickers on mini bamboo skewers (used for appetizers). Place the Hello Kitty stickers on the small bamboo skewers and add each one on the top and center of the mini cheesecake.
- Recipe Idea: for Blueberry Mini Cheesecakes, try the same cheesecake recipe above, and add blueberry jam or pie topping on top (instead of strawberry jam). I have done it and it's superb.
- Disclosure: I was not paid to endorse this product. But I will gladly recommend it to anyone who is a Hello Kitty fan.
- “The Hello Kitty Baking Book: Recipes for Cookies, Cupcakes, Pies and More” by Michelle Chen Chock (Quirk Books) is available where most books are sold. For convenience click on the Amazon tab here on this blog to purchase the book.
- Hello, Friends! All the images and content here are COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. This means BY LAW you are NOT allowed to use my photos or content on your website without my permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write it in your own words and simply link back to this blog to give proper attribution. It’s the legal thing to do. Thank you.
Notes on Nutrition: The nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.
Did you like this recipe?I have more Filipino Instant Pot recipes in my newest cookbook Instant Filipino Recipes: My Mother’s Traditional Philippine Cooking in A Multicooker Pot by Elizabeth Ann Besa-Quirino. I also have more classic recipes inspired by my mother’s cooking in my popular cookbook: My Mother’s Philippine Recipes. If you’re learning how to cook Filipino food or a fan of Philippine cuisine, buy my cookbooks and books on Amazon.com sold worldwide in paperback and Kindle format.
Copyright Notice: Hello, Friends! Please DO NOT LIFT OR PLAGIARIZE my original recipe, stories, photos or videos. All the images and content on this blog are COPYRIGHT PROTECTED and owned by my media company Besa-Quirino LLC. This means BY LAW you are NOT allowed to copy, scrape, lift, frame, plagiarize or use my photos, essays, stories and recipe content on your websites, books, films, television shows, videos, without my permission. If you wish to republish this recipe or content on media outlets mentioned above, please ASK MY PERMISSION, or re-write it in your own words and link back to my blog AsianInAmericaMag.com to give proper attribution. It is the legal thing to do. Thank you. Email me at [email protected]
My daughter will like these!
Thanks, Amy. How cute to know your daughter will enjoy these 🙂
So cute and delicious! Very fun for a girly birthday party/ Have a super weekend
Thanks, Bam. I had fun making these mini cheesecakes. Hello Kitty brings out the child in us all the time. Enjoy your weekend, too 🙂
So cute! I didn’t know she published her cookbook! What a wonderful news! Your mini cheesecakes look so nice. No fighting when you get your own mini cake. =P
Thanks, Nami. I love Hello Kitty — even my iPhone case (which I bought in Akihabara) is a Sanrio/Hello Kitty one. You’re right, there’ll be no fighting with individual mini cheesecakes 🙂