My slow cooker was a life saver. I cooked a Beef Pot Roast over the holidays. Beef is always a special-occasion menu item for Filipinos. But because we had so much food at Christmas and New Year’s, I kept this tucked away in the freezer for busy days like today. So I poured it all in the slow cooker: Beef, soup stock, seasonings and towards the last stage tossed in all the vegetables .
The enticing aroma of a simmering beef stew with veggies greeted my husband as he walked in from work. “Are you feeling better? He asked while he peered into the bubbly beef broth. “Not yet, that’s why I tossed everything in the slow cooker,” I said as I got up from the couch.
The beef pot roast must have looked like I slaved over it the whole day because my husband happily said “Well, whatever you did, looks like you created magic again for supper!”
Beef Pot Roast with Vegetables
- Slow cooker
- Large Skillet: 12 inches in diameter
- Large Stockpot or Dutch Oven: 10 or 12 quarts
- 4 to 5 pounds beef bottom round roast seasoned with a teaspoon each of salt and black pepper all over; (Angus beef if available)
- 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour to coat beef
- 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 whole large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 32 ounces (4 cups) beef broth
- 2 to 3 cups water
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 whole large potatoes peeled, quartered
- 2 whole large carrots peeled, sliced
- 1/4 pound green beans edges trimmed, sliced in 2-inch length pieces
- 2 to 3 cups shredded cabbage
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- for serving :steamed rice
- To prepare beef: Pre-season beef bottom round with salt and black pepper powder. Dredge the beef with flour all over. In a large skillet, over medium high heat, pan sear the beef in vegetable oil. Cook this for about 2 to 3 minutes on each side, making sure beef is evenly browned. Saute the onions, garlic and celery next to the beef for 2 minutes till onions are translucent.
- To cook pot roast in the slow cooker:Set the slow cooker on high. Remove the beef from the skillet and place the beef round roast inside the slow cooker. Add the organic beef broth, water, sauteed onions, garlic, celery, Worcestershire sauce, white wine. Cover slow cooker and cook on high for about 6 to 7 hours till beef is tender.
- At the last hour of cooking in the slow cooker, add the potatoes, carrots, green beans and cabbage. Season with sea salt and black pepper powder. Serve piping hot with a bowl of steamed jasmine white rice.
- To cook pot roast stove-top: If you prefer to cook this over the stove, follow the same steps. Use a large stockpot or a Dutch Oven to simmer beef, broth, vegetables and seasonings. Cook covered over a low simmer for about 3 hours till beef is tender. If cooking stove top, add the vegetables at the last thirty minutes of cooking.
- How to make the roast beef ahead: Season the beef with a teaspoon each of salt and black pepper powder all over. Preheat oven to 325 F. Place beef in a roasting pan and cover with foil. Roast in the oven at 30 minutes for every pound of beef (e.g. for 4 pounds of beef, roast for 2 hours). At the last 30 minutes, remove foil and let the beef brown on top and the sides. Remove from oven and let the beef "sit" on the counter so the juices stay sealed in. Let the roast beef cool and keep it in the freezer in a sealed plastic container. When you are ready to cook this pot roast recipe, take out the beef, thaw it and follow the directions above for cooking in the slow cooker or stockpot on the stove.
- Hello, Friends! All the images and content here are COPYRIGHT PROTECTED and owned by my media company Besa-Quirino LLC. This means BY LAW you are NOT allowed to use my photos or content on your website without my permission. If you want to republish this recipe or content on another website or news article, please ask my permission, re-write it in your own words and simply link back to this blog to give proper attribution. It’s the legal thing to do. Thank you.
Notes on Nutrition: The nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and specific brands of ingredients used.
Did you like this recipe? I have more Filipino Instant Pot recipes in my newest cookbook Instant Filipino Recipes: My Mother’s Traditional Philippine Cooking in A Multicooker Pot by Elizabeth Ann Besa-Quirino. Buy my cookbooks and books on Amazon.com sold worldwide in paperback and Kindle format.
Copyright Notice: Hello, Friends! Please DO NOT LIFT OR PLAGIARIZE my original recipe, stories, photos or videos. All the images and content on this blog are COPYRIGHT PROTECTED and owned by my media company Besa-Quirino LLC. This means BY LAW you are NOT allowed to copy, scrape, lift, frame, plagiarize or use my photos, essays, stories and recipe content on your websites, books, films, television shows, videos, without my permission. If you wish to republish this recipe or content on media outlets mentioned above, please ASK MY PERMISSION, or re-write it in your own words and link back to my blog AsianInAmericaMag.com to give proper attribution. It is the legal thing to do. Thank you. Email me at [email protected]
Disclosure: Instant Pot is the brand name of a multi-cooker that cooks in high and low pressure. I was not paid by the Instant Pot company to mention the product or brand nor endorse it. This is not an ad. My views and opinions are my own.